TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?

Tim@Backhome.org
Thu, 19 May 2005 02:45:28 -0700

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> In another thread Pat mentioned FX lines. As mentioned, these were
> used to save on long distance changes -- customers would make a local
> call to a distant business and the business could call its customers
> for the cost of a local call. This service was not cheap.

> At a resort I visited that had FX lines to a city 75 miles away, the
> switchboard had special heavy cord pairs. Extensions authorized for
> FX had a second jack underneath in which the heavy cord was inserted.
> I heard FX lines used higher voltage thus the heavy cords. I don't
> know what kind of special wiring, if any, was in the telephone sets.

That does not sound like POTs FX service; rather some kind of tie line
set up.

True FX service is a nailed interoffice trunk between your c.o. and the
distant c.o. The line side of the service; i.e. from your c.o. to your
premises, is no different than any local loop and requires no special
equipment on your premises.

Then, there is "phantom" FX service, still in use in the Los Angeles
metro area (and perhaps other areas where SBC rates a particular
office code (prefix) as being in downtown LA when, in fact, it is in a
c.o. in a nearby town that would otherwise be a toll call to downtown
LA. That is simply a billing accounting exercise.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "FCC Approves Stricter 911 Rules For VoIP Providers"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Foreign Exchange (FX) Lines Still in Use?"