TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Do Cell Phones Still Offer "A" and "B" Carriers?

Re: Do Cell Phones Still Offer "A" and "B" Carriers?

Michael D. Sullivan (userid@camsul.example.invalid)
Mon, 16 May 2005 05:29:37 GMT

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Is the battery drain _that_ dramatic
> between analog and digital (you said 'prefer to have more than a
> minute or two of battery life'). PAT]

I engaged in hyperbole, to some extent. My Kyocera 7135 (CDMA/Analog
phone plus Palm OS PDA) tends to live for about one and a half to two
days before needing to be recharged real bad. Very little of that is
talk time; the worst drain is when I am in an area with bad coverage
(such as an underground garage, where I go to smoke my socially
unacceptable pipe when the outdoor environment is uninviting), when
the lack of a digital signal causes the phone to transmit re[eated
desparate attempts to contact an analog host; that, plus the
illuminated message that there is no signal, tends to drain the
battery. With the phone permanently turned off, and only occasional
use of the Palm features, the battery lasts for weeks. The phone is
good for quite a while on digital calls, but analog calls drain it
very fast, given that they tend to be at full power, since it only
reverts to analog when the digital signals fail to penetrate.

Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD (USA)
(Replace "example.invalid" with "com" in my address.)

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Do Cell Phones Still Offer "A" and "B" Carriers?"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: FAQ: How Real ID Will Affect You"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Do Cell Phones Still Offer "A" and "B" Carriers?"