TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Verizon FiOS

Re: Verizon FiOS

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Mon, 16 May 2005 03:47:12 -0000

In article <telecom24.213.2@telecom-digest.org>, William Cousert
<williamcousert@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a few qestions about Verizon's new FiOS service. It was
> recently installed in my neighborhood and I'm thinking about switching
> over from Comcast.

> 1. Does Verizon offer Usenet access with their accounts? Comcast only
> offers a limited amount of bandwidth for Usenet and charges extra if
> you exceed it.

Did you ask Verizon?

What did they say?

Do you figure that "somebody else" knows better about their offering
than they do?

Do you think it's possible that what is available to somebody else, at
a different location may be different than what is available at your
location?

> 2. Can I connect without using MSN?

See above.

> 3. I have three computers. Will they charge me extra for the
> additional IP's? If so, how much?

See above.

> 4. Can I run a personal server? I'd like to be able to host my own
> home page on it, as well as a message board. What about game servers
> (quake 3, etc.)?

See above.

> 5. Will they offer cable tv services? I'd like to dump Comcast
> completely. Will they have video on demand?

Check your crystal ball.

> 6. 15/2 service costs $49.95 per month. 30/5 costs $199.95 per
> month. Twice the bandwidth, four times the price. Why such a big jump
> in price?

Have you ever heard the phrase "what the market will bear" ?

The answer to _any_ question on "why do they price it like that?" is
always_ "because they think people will pay it."

> Can you get two 15/2 packages and join them together
> (remember shotgun modems? You could have two 56k modems work as one)?

Do you have two fiber lines?

(Do you remember running two 56k modems on _one_ phone line)?

> 6a. Does the $199.95 package give you the right to run servers?

Did you ask Verizon? If not, _why_not_?

> Maybe that's the reason for the big increase?

Maybe. And maybe not.

> 7. Can FiOS handle higher speeds in the future, or will they need to
> replace the fiber once again when the next leap in speed comes?

Yes. One of the above is definitely true.

Go to Next message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Verizon FiOS"
Go to Previous message: eric.garulay@pearsoned.com: "Book Review: The Essential Guide to Telecommunications, 4th Edition"
May be in reply to: William Cousert: "Verizon FiOS"