TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Spyware ... Ugh!

Re: Spyware ... Ugh!

nstrom@ananzi.co.za
13 May 2005 06:31:30 -0700

bob@coolgroups.com wrote:

> Did they change the name of Hijack This to Alertspy or is Alertspy
> something else?

Nope; it's still Hijack This and is available at
http://www.merijn.org/.

Note that the official Hijack This page has the following to say:

-- snip --

April 22, 2005:
Just a short note on the domain HIJACK-THIS.NET: this is not mine! It
has been registered by an affiliate of XoftSpy (who are also on the
Rogue Antispyware List on SpywareWarrior.com) and they are luring
people into downloading their software believing it is HijackThis.
Also, they have registered a few AdWords at Google leading to the same
result. We'll see where this goes.

In the meantime, if you want to download any of my programs, the
official domain is and always will be www.merijn.org.

-- snip --

The domain hijack-this.net is hyping some "Alert Spy" product; this
must be where you got tricked.

Anyways, on the topic of Spyware, I use AdAware and Spybot S&D and
recommend them both. Sometimes one catches something that the other
doesn't. Also keep in mind that if you have spyware in memory, it
often can't be removed until you reboot your computer into safe mode.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And for a long time, they were each
accusing the other one of being a spy because the characteristics
in each. But a warning when you first start either program tells you
about that propensity they have and how to deal with it. PAT]

Go to Next message: nstrom@ananzi.co.za: "Re: Setting up an Automated RSS Feed"
Go to Previous message: nstrom@ananzi.co.za: "Re: AOL Jumps Into Free E-Mail Business"
May be in reply to: bob@coolgroups.com: "Spyware ... Ugh!"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page