TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Still Waiting for an Answer About Podcasting

Re: Still Waiting for an Answer About Podcasting

Colin (colin@sutton.wow.aust.com)
Tue, 03 May 2005 23:02:45 +1000

TELECOM Digest Editor wrote:

> A week or so ago here, I asked a question about the distinction -- if
> any -- between 'podcasting' and audio/video 'streaming' which is a
> technique which has been on the net for a long time.

Podcasting is a subscription service like RSS. indeed it uses RSS for
audio files. You select the content, e.g. the daily radio program you
want to listen to, and it is downloaded in the background, ready for
you to listen to when you want to, rather than when it was originally
broadcasted. Download ipodder and try it!

http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/faq/index.php

Podcasting is a subscription service like RSS. indeed it uses RSS for
audio files. You select the content, e.g. the daily radio program you
want to listen to, and it is downloaded in the background, ready for
you to listen to when you want to, rather than when it was originally
broadcasted. Download ipodder and try it!

http://ipodder.sourceforge.net/faq/index.php

Regards,

Colin

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But I do that now. I go to a web site
with audio/visual content and click on a link which says 'listen to
what this man said on the radio last week'. Either I listen to it then
and there as it is pushed out to me, or I 'right click' and save the
file to my jillion Gb hard drive and play it later. Is ipod just
another thing similar to Real Player or Windows Media or QuickTime?
And for convenience in use, I can always fire up my laptop with
the 802.11 card can't I? And you may pay for RSS content; I do not.
I use many java scripts in td-extra which go all around the net
looking for things it (meaning me, of course) wants to see, and brings
it back to my web site. There are countless numbers of 'syndicate our
news for free' pages everywhere on the net. Why do people pay? Maybe
they are too dumb (or not brain-diseased enough like me) to get what
they want for free? PAT]

Go to Next message: (no name): "Re: Still Waiting for an Answer"
Go to Previous message: Justin Time: "Re: Still Waiting for an Answer"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page