TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online

Re: Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online

noone@nowhere.com
Tue, 03 May 2005 16:38:18 -0400

On 30 Apr 2005 18:43:17 -0700, Lisa Minter <lisa_minter20012yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Very few prisons/jails allow inmates any use of computers at all
> because the authorities assume the prisoners will use them for
> no good. Why, who knows, they may even use web sites to try and
> drum up sympathy for their cause.

> http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050501/ap_on_hi_te/internet_inmates

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I would like to know one thing about
> prison phone systems, which are notoriously rip-off systems. The
> prison authorities _claim_ the recipients of phone calls from
> prisoners are not allowed to use _call transfer_ or _call forwarding_
> or _three way calling_ on calls from prisoners. I guess that is
> because the end result -- the person with whom the prisoner wound
> up conversing with -- would possibly not be on the 'approved' list
> at the prison. Does the prison phone system have the technical
> capability to restrict the called party's phone in that way? For
> example, I forward my phone somewhere, then you, in prison, call me
> as we agreed on. Or, you call me from the prison, I flash the
> hook and bring someone else on the line with me. The prison says
> in their literature that is impossible. Is it really? PAT]

I don't see how they can prevent a person outside the system from
using a two-line phone to conference two calls on two separate analog
lines.

Go to Next message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "Qwest Drops MCI Bid"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Inmates Use Intermediaries to Go Online"