TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Last Laugh! What's Purchased in Omaha is Useless in Omaha

Re: Last Laugh! What's Purchased in Omaha is Useless in Omaha

Stanley Cline (sc1@roamer1.org)
Mon, 02 May 2005 20:11:51 -0400

John Mayson wrote:

> http://www.theomahachannel.com/news/4431759/detail.html

> "Some cell phones sold this week at area a Target stores won't work in
> Omaha. The mistake was discovered after a KETV NewsWatch 7 viewer
> called 7 Can Help."

Per the article, the phones in question are T-Mobile prepaid phones.

T-Mobile does have some native coverage in Omaha per the Personal
Coverage Check tool on their own web site, but for some odd reason
doesn't sell service there and has no local numbers available. (There
are some other places, largely in the Midwest, where the same holds
true -- Quincy, IL comes to mind.) A T-Mobile To Go would work just
fine in Omaha, although with somewhat limited coverage; it looks like
the coverage that's there (just like in Quincy) was built out largely
as a license-save measure and/or to keep people from other markets
from roaming on other carriers.

--
Stanley Cline // Telco Boi // sc1 at roamer1 dot org // www.roamer1.org

"it seems like all you ever buy is Abercrombie and cell phones" --a friend

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Hello Stan! Been a long time since I saw you here in the Digest. Write more often, won't you? Don't be such a stranger! PAT]

Go to Next message: sarkar.abhik@gmail.com: "Unstable SS7 Links and G.703 Baluns"
Go to Previous message: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Who Answers 911? Cell Phones and VoIP Put Responders to Test"
May be in reply to: John Mayson: "Last Laugh! What's Purchased in Omaha is Useless in Omaha"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page