TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: VoIP

VoIP

Choreboy (choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com)
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:56:40 -0400

For several months I've been getting calls with spoofed Caller IDs. I
understand spoofing requires either VoIP or a PBX system with DSL.

Can anybody with cable internet access and suitable software make VoIP
calls?

The other day I received a wrong-number call from an exchange belonging
to Level 3 Communications. Among other services, they offer residential
VoIP services through wholesalers such as ISPs and cable operators. I'm
confused. Does a consumer need these services to use VoIP?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I don't think either 'VOIP' or 'PBX system'
have anything to do with it. If I understand correctly what I have
read here in the Digest, it requires a 'PRI' type thing; that is, a
multi-channel set of lines going to DID, or Direct Inward Dialing,
which would, I guess, be similar to a PBX arrangement. Companies who
have those lines _can_ set the caller ID to be whatever is appropriate
in their instance. I suspect the fact that the ID shown was that
company may have been just coincidental. You do need either cable
internet or DSL to use VOIP; regular 'dialup' lines are just not wide
enough or fast enough to do VOIP. But other than having DSL or cable,
VOIP takes nothing especially fancy; just an adapter box from the
place where you get the VOIP service and any regular telephone
instrument will do the job. And if you planned on totally getting
rid of your landline phone taking VOIP instead, that is generally
not possible with DSL, since most telcos will not give stand-alone
DSL. PAT]

Go to Next message: Dan Turin: "International DID Supply"
Go to Previous message: Ed: "Re: Lingo (Primus Telecommunications) Horror Story"
May be reply: Scott Dorsey: "Re: VoIP"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: VoIP"
May be reply: T. Sean Weintz: "Re: VoIP"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: VoIP"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: VoIP"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page