TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Can I Port an 800 Number Without the Old Carrier's Permission?

Re: Can I Port an 800 Number Without the Old Carrier's Permission?

DevilsPGD (ihatespam@crazyhat.net)
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 03:00:09 -0600

In message <telecom24.164.13@telecom-digest.org> Tim@Backhome.org wrote:

> Indeed it's all about ownership.

> And, some folks who have transferred vanity numbers to Vonage might be
> in for an unpleasant surprise when they try to transfer that number
> from Vonage.

Going from memory, Vonage won't port a tollfree number will they?

Even if they do, my understanding is that tollfree numbers are pulled
by the new telco, no action is required on the part of the losing
telco, so if you do transfer away, unless Vonage actively fights you
it shouldn't be a problem.

Neither the FCC nor the CRTC takes kindly to a company blocking porting
of tollfree numbers.

Like a lot of husbands throughout history, Mr. Webster would sit down
and try to talk to his wife. As soon as he'd say something though,
she'd fire back with, "And just what the hell is THAT supposed to
mean?" Thus, Webster's Dictionary was born.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: No, Vonage will not port tollfree
numbers *either way*, in or out. Vonage claims to own the tollfree
numbers they offer out for assignment. Nor will they port numbers
which started out with themselves. The only thing you can _possibly_
do is take back a number you ported in to them to start with. PAT]

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Web Censors In China Find Success"
Go to Previous message: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Internet Pioneer: VoIP is NOT Telephony"
May be in reply to: william_warren@withheld_on_request: "Can I Port an 800 Number Without the Old Carrier's Permission?"