TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wierd Telephone Problems

Re: Wierd Telephone Problems

Al Dykes (adykes@panix.com)
10 Apr 2005 17:36:01 -0400

In article <telecom24.154.2@telecom-digest.org>, Gladiator
<glad1ator@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello: I have this problem with my telephone at home. For incoming
> calls, sometimes, it would ring once then disconnect the caller. I
> thought it was my phone, but I bought a new one, and it was the same
> thing.

> I called my telephone company, and the technician came and said that
> this could be due to wiring inside the building. So, the telephone
> company thinks it's not their responsibility.

> The strangest thing is, outgoing calls seem to be fine. I can dial
> outside w/o problems.

> Anyone seen this before?

> Will

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I've seen it lots of times. And as
> often as not, it is in the wiring somewhere (either 'your' wiring or
> possibly telco's.) Chances are there is some _tiny_ bare spot where
> the two wires touch, or nearly so. The amount of current in the line
> when the phone rings is sufficient to 'bridge the gap' and complete
> the connection for a half second or so. What does the calling party
> receive under those circumstances? Usually they will hear one or two
> ringing signals, then it will change to busy, or maybe it will sound
> like the line went dead. When you place a call -- as opposed to
> receive a call -- there is much less voltage on the line because the
> phone is not ringing. Its the increase in voltage which causes this
> to occur. That is why you experience no problems when _you_ place a
> call; the 'current bridge' is not present.

> How do you prove it is telco's problem and not yours, or vice-versa?
> Take your telephone out to the demarc, or place where the telco says
> your wiring begins. Disconnect where they say yours starts. Use a
> cell phone (or some other third-party line) to dial into _your_
> number. If you have your phone plugged directly into the demarc, and
> the problem is present, you should hear your phone ring once (a half
> ring, maybe) and then go dead. Note on the phone you are using to
> call in what happens, i.e. busy signal, fast busy, the line goes dead,
> or whatever. If this happens *and you have 'your' wires pulled or
> disconnected at the demarc, then the problem is telco's. If it rings
> through normally, and you can talk to yourself (or any confederate who
> is assisting you), then it is NOT telco's problem.

> Then, reattach the wires you took down at the demarc and try the test
> again. Does it occur this time? If the problem occurs when your wires
> are connected, but _not_ when you are connected direct to the demarc,
> then it is indeed your problem. Try this much first, then get back to
> us with the results. If it is indeed in your length of wire and not
> telco's, then we will discuss how you go about correcting it. You'll
> basically have two choices in that case: fix it yourself or with your
> own electrician hired, _or_ pay telco (or bribe the technician) and
> they will fix it for you. Typically it costs less to fix it yourself,
> [...]

When I was a kid we had this problem for a while. After days of
troubleshooting it was discovered that the inside wire running in the
rafters had sagged and come in contact with a hot water pipe. The
insulation carbonized enough to short out the ring voltage put not
affect calls.

sh*t happens.

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Go to Next message: Michael Muderick: "Re: Wierd Telephone Problem"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "Deal May Let Comcast Grow in State"
May be in reply to: Gladiator: "Wierd Telephone Problems"