TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: VoIP Adapter With High REN?

Re: VoIP Adapter With High REN?

GlowingBlueMist (nobody@invalid.com)
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:27:17 -0500

Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com> wrote in message

> I am trying to switch two of three phone lines in a very large, very
> old house over to VoIP. The house has quite literally twenty
> extensions split between the three lines -- I think I need at least 4
> or 5 REN per line, plus the ability to drive all the wire leading to
> those handsets (over 100' in some cases) without exploding the audio
> output circuit in the ATA.

> Does anyone make equipment meant for this that I can use with a
> mainstream VoIP provider? It's been suggested to me that Packet8
> might be my best chance since they build their own gear but I don't
> see anything suitable on their web site.

> I am basically looking for a Cisco ATA-186 (including the 2-line
> capability) on steroids.

You might want to try something like a REN extender or two. An
example of one can (Viking RG-10A) be found at:
http://salestores1.com/virgelrgribo.html

It claims to boost the ring signal to 15 REN and should work with what
ever brand of VOIP interface you have as long as it will already ring
a single phone instrument correctly.

Go to Next message: Paratwa: "Re: Harrasing Annoying Ex Boyfriend Phone Calls CALLER ID Manager"
Go to Previous message: T. Sean Weintz: "Re: Prison Cell Phone Scandal"
May be in reply to: Thor Lancelot Simon: "VoIP Adapter With High REN?"