TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911

The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911

Jack Decker (jack-yahoogroups@withheld)
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:54:05 -0500

It's probably no secret that I don't have a lot of love for SBC,
mainly because it seems as though any time they have a choice between
doing something that would be beneficial to their customers or the
general public, or making a profit, they always seem to choose to make
a profit. This seems to be the way of most large corporations, I fear
-- it seems that people in a pack will conspire to do evil that none
of the members of that group would think of doing individually. In
this case it's a pretty clear cut distinction -- SBC would rather see
people's lives endangered than lift a finger to help what they
perceive as a competitor gain acess to 911. The thing is, this
doesn't even surprise me anymore, in fact it's exactly the sort of
action I'd expect SBC to take.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/index.php?p=324

3/31/2005

The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911
-Posted by Russell Shaw @ 5:49 am

I am not surprised that SBC is declining to work with Vonage on a way
to allow Vonage subscribers access to the E-911 emergency network.

SBC's public reason for not being all that eager to do so is that
well, Vonage hasn't figured out all the tech stuff on their end and
we, SBC, don't have time to help them with it. Or, as the giant
ILEC recently told the FCC, "SBC can not agree to engage in numerous
individual tests with each and every VoIP provider."

But why then, are Verizon and BellSouth cooperating with Vonage on a
way to make 911 access work?

First of all,the "it would be a pain in the neck" issue doesn't hold
water with me. Since most VoIP service providers use similar
equipment, getting in the lab with Vonage could result in a template
for E-911 solutions that could be deployed by many, if not most, of
the 400 or so VoIP access companies in the U.S.

Full story at:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/index.php?p=324

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Can't you just see SBC chomping at the
bit to get the old 'Bell System' out of cold storage and back into
service with all its old ways, albiet modernized somewhat? Put this
thing down -- refusal to work on 911 with VOIP carriers as one more
thing to negotiate when the FCC is asked to approve the AT&T/SBC
merger. PAT]

Go to Next message: Eric Friedebach: "Sprint PCS Vision Added to Open Relay DataBase"
Go to Previous message: Jack Decker: "Supreme Court to Hear High-Speed Internet Case - Cable"
May be reply: T. Sean Weintz: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: Justin Time: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: Justin Time: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: The Real Reason Why SBC Won't Work With Vonage on E-911"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page