TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Fax Station ID

Re: Fax Station ID

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:43:35 -0600

It was a dark and stormy night when John Schmerold <john@katy.com>
wrote:

> Anyone know if it's a law or regulation that requires faxes to include
> station identification at top of every page sent ?

I haven't tracked down the original rule, but according to a law
firm's website at http://tinyurl.com/6l4h7 (the very first hit from
googling on "fax number header") in the US the FCC:

rules ... require every fax (not just unsolicited advertisements) to
identify in the top or bottom margin on each page or on the first
page the date and time it is sent, the sender's identity (the
originator of the fax, not the name of the broadcast fax service), and
the fax number of the machine sending the transmission or the
telephone number of the sender. If a broadcast fax service (which
likely includes an outside marketing firm retained for such purposes)
is used and the fax broadcaster is responsible for the content of the
fax or for supplying the fax numbers to which the faxes are sent, then
the fax broadcaster's name also must be identified in the header.

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Fax Station ID"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Fax Station ID"
May be in reply to: John Schmerold: "Fax Station ID"