TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: More 'Tweens' Going Mobile; Long-Term Health Risks Unclear

Re: More 'Tweens' Going Mobile; Long-Term Health Risks Unclear

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:14:09 -0500

In article <telecom24.128.1@telecom-digest.org>, monty@roscom.com
says:

> By Associated Press | March 21, 2005

> CHICAGO -- There were two things 11-year-old Patty Wiegner really,
> really, really wanted for Christmas. One was a furry, playful dog
> that's now filling her parents' home with the sound of barking. The
> other gift makes a different kind of noise -- it has a ring tone that
> mimics rapper 50 Cent's hit song 'Candy Shop.'

I'm not sure what I'd be more concerned about. Should it be the RF
exposure to tender young brain tissue, or the fact that said eleven year
old knows what "Candy Shop" is referring to or has actually listened to
the lyrics of the song.

In article <telecom24.130.9@telecom-digest.org>, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
says:

> Monty Solomon wrote:

>> By Associated Press | March 21, 2005

>> CHICAGO -- There were two things 11-year-old Patty Wiegner really,
>> really, really wanted for Christmas. One was a furry, playful dog
>> that's now filling her parents' home with the sound of barking. The
>> other gift makes a different kind of noise -- it has a ring tone that
>> mimics rapper 50 Cent's hit song 'Candy Shop.'

> My initial knee-jerk reaction would be to object to kids having cell
> phones. But then I remember my teenage days and it seemed the phone
> was attached to my ear. And in my parents' day, the phones in the
> corner candy stores were quite busy.

> However, this was when I was in high school, not elementary school.

> I'm not so thrilled about the idea of "tweens" or younger kids having
> cell phones. (A friend gave his 9-year-old one last Christmas.)

> Of course, these days kids are far more isolated than we were. We
> were in the city or more built-up suburbs where there were plenty of
> friends within walking distance. Today kids have to be driven to
> practically any kind of activity otherwise they're isolated. (Also
> parents want more control over their kids than ours did.)

That is what we get for fleeing the urban core cities. The costs of that
are coming back in spades.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There are lots of things wrong with the
urban core, inner city. I am sorry you feel that those of us who
wanted something better in life did what you call 'fleeing'. I know
you would _never_ get me back to Chicago for example. PAT]

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Cell Phone Jammer For Sale MONIX MGB-1S"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: New Long Range Cordless Phones"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page