TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Our Telephonic Primacy

Re: Our Telephonic Primacy

John Smith (user@example.net)
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:21:19 GMT

Dave Garland wrote (about infant mortality in Cuba):

> It's true, but the US has far more heroic interventions among extremely
> low birth weight and extremely premature infants than Cuba. Which, of
> course, are far more likely to die than normal births. I suspect that
> in Cuba, those get counted as miscarriages, not infants.

Is this just a guess, or do you have reason to suspect that the
medical definition of "birth" is different in Cuba? Or perhaps it's
the definition of "death"? It seems to me, considering an equal
number of premature births, that heroic intervention should produce a
benefit in the statistics. If it doesn't, then why do it? Or is
there a higher percentage of premature births in the U.S.?

I know that Cuba has more doctors per capita than (I believe) any
country in the hemisphere, and a major commitment to disease
prevention and public health. Maybe it just pays off. Wouldn't that
be a shock.

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Some Concerned About Privacy Implications of E-ZPass System"
Go to Previous message: Dan Lanciani: "Re: What Happened To Channel 1"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Our Telephonic Primacy"