TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Question re: Vonage E-coupon

Re: Question re: Vonage E-coupon

Jeff Miller (jeffhambone@comcast.net)
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:41:18 -0500

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The other day, I received one of my all
too freqeuent questions asking if it was possible to 'double-dip' with
the Vonage e-coupon I offer. I gave my usual answer, no it is
not. Either *I* sell you the telephone adapter (actually, it is drop
shipped from Vonage) and give you the 'rebate' in the form of a month
of free service, or *someone else* -- CompUSA or Best Buy for example --
sells you the adapter and *they* give the rebate; but you don't get it
twice. He then replied as follows, below: PAT]

PAT --

Thanks for your reply. That's what I expected, didn't think there'd
be a way to double dip.

Here's the deal I'm getting through CompUSA, which apparently is no
longer being offered:

$60 purchase price for PAP-2
-$50 rebate from Vonage once I have the service for 90 days (with a gotcha
that says "not combinable with other Vonage offers", should have looked at
that before asking the question, I suppose)
-$10 rebate from CompUSA (already received)
=$0 (except for sales tax) cost for adapter

Plus, I received a $25 gift card from CompUSA so eventually I'm money
ahead, looking solely at the acquisition end of things.

However, when I disconnect there will be a $40 disconnect fee
according to the TOS. There's some information out there indicating
that current Vonage policy is to waive disconnect fees for accounts
using retail adapters; of course, that policy is subject to change at
any time.

OTOH, if I went with the Vonage-provided adapter then the disconnect
fee would be waived (if I returned the adapter) and I could get the
free month, but there's a $30 activation fee and a $10 shipping fee
according to the Vonage website.

Either way, looks like they'd ding me for about $40 coming or going on
top of the monthly service charges -- proving once again TANSTAAFL.

Feel free to any part of the above in the Digest as you see fit.

Jeff

At 02:52 PM 3/19/2005, you wrote:

> Saw your post on the Telecom Digest about an e-coupon for
> Vonage service. Is that e-coupon only applicable to direct
> activation through Vonage, or can it be applied to activations
> of equipment purchased through a third-party vendor?

PAT replied:

> I am in essence the 'third party vendor'; although Vonage does the
> drop shipping of the adapter box for me.

> I purchased my adapter through CompUSA and am ready to
> activate service, just thought I'd ask before starting out.

PAT replied:

> I believe Comp USA also gives a premium in the form of a month of
> service or perhaps an instant rebate on the cost of the adapter that
> you purchased. You cannot get *two* rebates, sorry. Either you get
> the rebate Comp USA gives (which in effect comes from Vonage) _or_
> you get the month of service I give for free which also in effect
> comes from Vonage. You cannot get both.

> The way Vonage verifies who gets what is that if you get my e-coupon
> the link enclosed in it walks you through the sign up process, and
> gives you your new phone number, etc. **It requires a credit card
> number from you in the process**

> I think you have two choices at this point:

> 1) if CompUSA did _not_ give you some premium in the process of
> purchasing your adapter (free month of service or rebate on the
> adapter) then ask them for it now.

> 2) return the adapter to them, and use my e-coupon to get an adapter
> through mail order and use the rebate I give (a month of free
> service).

> Sorry.

> Thanks,
> Jeff Miller
> Columbia, MD
> (Off and on reader of Telecom Digest since 1992)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: So, if you have not yet signed up with
any VOIP service, or you have signed up with others but were not
satisfied and want to try Vonage, then let me know if you want to try
Vonage with an 'e-coupon'. You click on the link in the email I send
you; it takes you to a sign up page for Vonage. It arranges to ship
you a Vonage adapter, gives you your number assigment, etc. You pay
with your credit/debit card. They ship it out same day and you have
it a couple days later. Whatever kind of service plan you sign up for
(_and use your credit/debit card to pay for_) then the e-coupon kicks
in and you get a _second month_ of the very same service plan for
free. That's how the plan I offer works. PAT]