TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Iridium II: Is Satellite Radio Doomed?

Re: Iridium II: Is Satellite Radio Doomed?

J Kelly (jkelly@*newsguy.com)
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:34:42 -0600

On 18 Mar 2005 02:44:20 GMT, Walter Dnes (delete 'z' to get my
address) <wzaltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> I don't think the subsidized-cellphone analogy is valid. Verizon
> etal, "subsidize" cellphones *ONLY FOR CUSTOMERS WHO ENTER A CELLPHONE
> SERVICE CONTRACT*. Subsidizing satellite-radio receivers on *ALL
> CARS* in order to get subscribers from only a small percentage, is not
> an economically viable business plan.

> All it takes is for one car producer to not make it standard, and
> they can undercut their competitors, who won't dare end up looking like
> they're trying to ram it down customers' throats.

Many GM cars already come standard with XM Radio.

Go to Next message: Joseph: "Re: Toll-Free Number Service For Europe - I Need Information"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Iridium II: Is Satellite Radio Doomed?"
May be in reply to: Walter Dnes: "Iridium II: Is Satellite Radio Doomed?"