TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Lifespan of a Desktop PC?

Lifespan of a Desktop PC?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
16 Mar 2005 08:24:27 -0800

Would anyone know what is the average/typical physical lifespan of a
desktop PC? That is, how many years do they run before components
start failing?

When buying a new PC, how do people typically transfer the contents
from the old PC hard drive to the new PC? At work, people move stuff
out onto the LAN server or move the old drive into the new box; but
others say old drives are not compatible with new technology. How do
home users without a LAN handle it?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I have here a Toshiba Satellite 220-CDS
sine 1995. It started life as Win 95, has since been converted to Win-98
(which I am sorry I did, really, it seems to be running a little
slower than it did as a 95). But it _never_ freezes up, _never_ locks
out; just sits there all day long as part of my network doing its
thing, the same as it did as a 95. Is ten years a rather good life
span? PAT]

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "The Lost Lessons of the 1920s and 1930s"
Go to Previous message: Jack Decker: "VoIP's Next Step: Hearings On The Hill"
May be reply: David: "Re: Lifespan of a Desktop PC?"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Lifespan of a Desktop PC?"
May be reply: Peter R Cook: "Re: Lifespan of a Desktop PC?"
May be reply: Justin Time: "Re: Lifespan of a Desktop PC?"
May be reply: Al Dykes: "Re: Lifespan of a Desktop PC?"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Lifespan of a Desktop PC?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page