TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday

Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday

Robert Bonomi (bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com)
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:27:20 -0000

In article <telecom24.103.16@telecom-digest.org>, Randal Hayes
<randal.hayes@uni.edu> wrote:

> Whenever a communications technology outage is reported and the cause
> is attributed to some problem with a software load or other
> maintenance work performed *in the middle of a workday* I always ask
> myself, "What were they thinking, performing this type of work during
> a busy period?!?"

Methinks the visible problems do _not_ occur *during* the loading of
the new software or other maintenance work. Rather, that the problem
manifests itself only "when the conditions are right" to provoke the
failure. Which, not surprisingly generally occurs during times of
peak activity. And, that once the manifestation is apparent, the
"cause of the problem" is traced back to a flaw in the new software or
other maintenance work.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday"
Go to Previous message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Cell Phone Radiation Dangers"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page