TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday

Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday

DevilsPGD (ihatespam@crazyhat.net)
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:34:23 -0700

In message <telecom24.103.16@telecom-digest.org> Randal Hayes
<randal.hayes@uni.edu> wrote:

> Vonage, or even the VOIP environment are not unique here; for several
> years some of the largest carriers have experienced outages during
> some of their busiest periods due to scheduling non-emergency software
> loads and upgrades during peak periods ... what idiocy!

> Is common sense a thing of the past for some people, or is the belief
> in performing quality work a thing of the past for some people ... or
> both?

Personally, I do most of the maintenance work on my servers during "peak
hours"

Why? Well, two reasons:

1) My system is redundant enough that users don't notice the outage.
2) If something blows up and I need assistance (usually in the form of
a hardware failure in a remote data center), I can get that support
during the day. At night it's hit and miss.

Go to Next message: Brian Inglis: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday"
Go to Previous message: Dan Lanciani: "Re: "Broadcast Flag", was Re: My New DVR From Cable One"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page