TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores; Federated and May to Merge

Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores; Federated and May to Merge

Wesrock@aol.com
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:37:45 EST

In a message dated Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:59:42 -0500, Bob Goudreau
<BobGoudreau@withheld on request> writes:

> I think you missed my point. They could have chosen to divest the
> entire regulated railroad business instead (in the way that AT&T chose
> to give up the local telco business in the early 1980s), leaving the
> now-separate rump company to concentrate exclusively on rail while the
> new successor company (which would have purchased the non-rail assets)
> chased the newer markets. Instead, the execs chose to stay with the
> rump themselves. They bet on the wrong pony.

This seems to ignore the reality that the railroads are thriving
businesses today. Intercity bus services has been declining and many
cities are without any intercity bus service at all. The motor
freight business more and more is turning to the railroads to carrying
their long-haul freight in trailers or containers. J.B. Hunt, the
nation's largest trucking company, is one of the largest customers of
the railroads. I believe UPS is the largest single customer of the
railroads.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Voip in Northern KY"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page