TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Richard Clarke: Real ID's, Real Dangers (NY Times)

Re: Richard Clarke: Real ID's, Real Dangers (NY Times)

Steve Sobol (sjsobol@JustThe.net)
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:33:09 -0800

Marcus Didius Falco wrote:

> Have you ever wondered what good it does when they look at your
> driver's license at the airport? Let me assure you, as a former
> bureaucrat partly responsible for the 1996 decision to create a
> photo-ID requirement, it no longer does any good whatsoever. The ID
> check is not done by federal officers but by the same kind of
> minimum-wage rent-a-cops who were doing the inspection of carry-on
> luggage before 9/11.

And that's why the extra security measures being taken by the Feds in
many cases are stupid. The airports have needed real security
*forever*, but even after 9/11, we don't have it because the Feds were
half-assed about it. I personally feel that the current measures do
little to actually enhance security. But hey, they make good window
dressing.

> hijackers obtained real driver's licenses using false documents. The
> Real ID bill has, however, provoked negative reaction from those who
> think it has little to do with terrorism and a lot to do with making
> life difficult for illegal immigrants.

Well, I'd sure hope that we'd make life difficult for illegal
immigrants. I wonder how many of the idiots complaining live where I
live (Southern California). I don't want them here. They leech off the
system.

I'm not against people taking the time to move here and become legal,
naturalized citizens ... people doing it the *right* way. Just people
trying to take shortcuts.

Anyone remember the drive (pardon the pun) to give illegals driver
licenses?

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: DoJ: VoIP Providers Avoiding CALEA Mandate"
Go to Previous message: Thomas A. Horsley: "Re: Richard Clarke: Real ID's, Real Dangers (NY Times)"
May be in reply to: Marcus Didius Falco: "Richard Clarke: Real ID's, Real Dangers (NY Times)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page