TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Voom Goes Boom

Re: Voom Goes Boom

Isaiah Beard (sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com)
Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:47:58 -0500

Mark Crispin wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, J Kelly wrote:

>> I keep hearing a vocal minority whining about not enough HDTV
>> available. If there are so many people interested in HDTV, explain
>> how Voom only managed to convince around 40,000 suckers into signing
>> up for their service. Now Voom has gone Boom.

> Voom's service started out with a hefty (several hundred dollars)
> investment required in equipment that would not be useful for anything
> else.

Aside from that and all the other drawbacks mentioned, it's important
to realize that Voom was the pet project of Charles Dolan, chairman
of Cablevision. The rest of Cablevision's board was not very happy
having a cable provider own and operate a competing satellite
carrier, so every attempt has been made by this board to kill off
the company.

Satellite radio started off with only a tiny niche market, and yet it
lasted and has mushroomed into a promising industry because there no
foes in the boradroom trying to kill it off. If Voom had the support,
it likely would have succeeded in time, too.

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Vonage's Citron Says VoIP Blocking Is 'Censorship'"
Go to Previous message: Henry Cabot Henhouse III: "Vonage"
May be in reply to: J Kelly: "Voom Goes Boom"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page