TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Nokio 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?

Re: Nokio 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?

Joseph (JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com)
Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:24:41 -0800

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:59:30 -0500, Ted Koppel <tkoppel@adelphia.net>
wrote:

> My new Nokia 6010 has an interesting and somewhat annoying habit. If
> it's anywhere within a 5 foot radius of my PC speakers, I can hear it
> periodically transmitting something (sort of a rhythmic
> dum-diddy-dum-diddy-dum-dum-dum). Sounds like static, but definitely
> with a paced rhythm. I haven't timed the intervals exactly, but it
> seems to take place every 17-20 minutes. In a related activity, I
> hear a big burst of static on my PC speakers, and then some rhythmic
> noise, about 5-7 seconds before the cell phone begins to ring.

> This is the first cell phone I've had that caused these noises. Do I
> have a mutant phone? Is this anything to be concerned about?

It's not just the Nokia 6010. *Any* GSM will exhibit the
characteristics you refer to. It's the phone communicating with the
system periodically. You'll hear the buzz-buzz even more when the
6010 is ringing. You'll hear a different type of interference when a
TDMA phone rings (more like a low hum.) It's normal and your phone is
not defective.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The first time this happened to me, I
was walking around downtown. My cellular phone (and its holder) were
clipped on my belt. Right next to that was my Walkman FM radio which
was also clipped on my belt, and I was listening to it through my
headphones. Suddenly the radio started humming and buzzing, as though
there was some interference nearby. I wondered to myself, what is
going on there in Potts (I was walking right past the Potts Funeral
Home when it started). I got a few steps beyong Potts and the inter-
ference stopped. I found out later it was a call coming in on the
cell phone; apparently the cell tower had been trying to locate me for
the call. I did not realize it at the moment, and just thought it was
some kind of spurious interference noise. But later at home, I sat the
cellular phone on a table next to my Bose radio, and I was not wearing
my headphones (so I could hear the phone 'ringing' [or actually
giving its electronic chirp of a call coming in]) and the Bose radio
did the same thing: played a spurt of interference noise when it was
happening. I just assumed either the cell phone or the Bose radio was
faulty. Your explanation helped explain it. PAT]

> My new Nokia 6010 has an interesting and somewhat annoying habit. If
> it's anywhere within a 5 foot radius of my PC speakers, I can hear it
> periodically transmitting something (sort of a rhythmic
> dum-diddy-dum-diddy-dum-dum-dum). Sounds like static, but definitely
> with a paced rhythm. I haven't timed the intervals exactly, but it
> seems to take place every 17-20 minutes. In a related activity, I
> hear a big burst of static on my PC speakers, and then some rhythmic
> noise, about 5-7 seconds before the cell phone begins to ring.

> This is the first cell phone I've had that caused these noises. Do I
> have a mutant phone? Is this anything to be concerned about?

> Ted

What you've got is *normal* operation of the phone. Any cell phone
does much similar things, on a similar schedule. The phone transmits
"every once in a while", a "Here I am" notification to the network,
letting it know that the subscriber is on-line/available, as well as a
double-check on the transmit-power-level. needed to reach the cell
tower, and a bunch of other 'housekeeping' details. In addition,
before an incoming call 'rings', the cell system sends an "inquiry" to
find out where you are, i.e. are you still in the 'last reported
location', or somewhere else nearby, or 'not online at all'? Once
you're "location verified", then it'll attempt the ring.

Now, _why_ this stuff is being picked up on the PC speakers -- that's
a whole nuther story. Could be that you're on a different frequency
band than prior phones. Could be a somewhat 'dirty' signal (relatively
unlikely) from the phone, Could be any of a bunch of other things.

Go to Next message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Voom Goes Boom"
Go to Previous message: jared: "Re: Nokio 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?"
May be in reply to: Ted Koppel: "Nokio 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page