TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge

Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge

Wesrock@aol.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:30:23 EST

In a message dated 3/2/05 5:04:16 PM Central Standard Time, Pat writes:

> Here in Kansas, the state also operates the liquor stores, but the
> 'convenience mart' places -- like gas station grocery stores, etc --
> are allowed to sell beer, just not the 'hard stuff', and taverns can
> sell 'by the drink' of course.

Curious about your statement that the state of Kansas operates the
liquor stores. I have never found one that was state-operated in
Kansas, and I have patronized several in Wellington, Arkanasas City,
and many in Wichita. None of them show any sign of state ownership,
and they are opened, bought, sold and closed by private persons, all
of whom say they are the owner(s) of them.

Living in Oklahoma, there are details in Oklahoma laws which have
various curious effects. There are also curious laws in Kansas, in
Missouri, in Arkansas and in Texas, all different from each other,
which may result in different products being available or not
available, sold in different types of stores, the products advertised
or not, and numerous other variations.

In Texas, for example, liquor can be sold in durg stores, grocery
stores and supermarkets, provided they are in "wet" areas. (Much of
the Dallas area is "dry".) But only during certain hours and not on
Sunday. When I lived in Missouri it had a different set of rules and
also, like Oklahoma (and Kansas at that time), made a distinction
between 3.2% beer and "strong" beer.

I have never encountered state-owned liquor stores in any of the
states I've mentioned -- certainly not in Kansas -- although I know
they exist in some states.

One curiosity I encounted in the greater Kansas City are quite a few
years ago, when Kansas was dry and Missouri was wet, and Missouri had
blue laws forbidding retail stores to be open on Sunday, was the
distinction this made in traffic on the Missouri and Kansas sides.

Kansas shopping centers were jammed on Sundays, but those in Missouri
were deserted. On the other hand, bars and restaurants serving strong
drink were prospering on the Missouri side. (One Steak & Ale -- with
full bar, of course) was on the east [Missouri] side of State Line
Avenue not far from one of the busy shopping centers on the Kansas
side.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: Lisa Minter: "Court Overturns $521 Million Ruling Against Microsoft"
Go to Previous message: John Bartley: "Re: Other Firmware For Linksys wrt54g? Satori"
May be in reply to: Lisa Hancock: "New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge"