TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill

Re: Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill

Gary Breuckman (puma@catbox.com)
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:29:35 -0600

Lisa Hancock wrote:

> Marcus Didius Falco wrote:

>> Washington Post Staff Writer

>> Beth Plowman, a Damascus international public health adviser, was
>> shocked when she discovered that a $27,240 arbitration judgment had
>> been levied against her for credit card charges incurred by an
>> identity thief who bought sporting goods all across Europe.

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: What I do not understand, is who put
>> in the fix with the 'arbitrator'? Was it the credit card company or
>> the collection agency or ...? How could the credit card company ever
>> have reached a decision that the person was responsible for the fraud?
>> PAT]

> Yes, I thought your liability from a 'stolen' card (which this
> is) was $50.00?

That's for a card issued to YOU that's stolen, not for your identity
stolen and card issued to someone else.

Perhaps there were reasons beyond what's been released.

-- Gary Breuckman

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Is Your Identity Safe?"
May be in reply to: Marcus Didius Falco: "Arbitration Left ID Theft Victim With $27,000 Bill"