TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Are ISPs Blocking VoIP Calls?

Re: Are ISPs Blocking VoIP Calls?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
25 Feb 2005 09:01:11 -0800

Jack Decker wrote:

> Internet telephony companies Vonage and Nuvio have turned to federal
> authorities with their complaints that some broadband providers are
> blocking or degrading their Voice over IP (define) services.
> Last week, the Edison, N.J.-based Vonage confirmed it had met with the
> Federal Communications Commission (FCC) about the problem, but
> stressed today it had filed no formal complaint.

Since VOIP went to great lengths to get unregulated status, I don't
understand why they would have any standing with a regulatory agency.
AFAIK, ISPs are not regulated either.

It is my understanding a business can pick and choose what vendors it
wants to carry and what customers it wants to serve. A supermarket
can freely pick and choose what brands it sells; it is not compelled
to give shelf space to every particular brand or every particular food
out there. Supermarkets are free to give preference in terms of price
and product placement of their own house brands, and not even carry
competitors if they choose.

Accordingly, if an ISP wants to sell its own VOIP service, why should
it be mandated to carry any others? The only factor would be customer
acceptance.

For VOIPS to go running crying to the FCC is hypocritical. They want
free market when it suits them, but then regulation when they discover
some aspects of the free market isn't to their liking.

Go to Next message: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Advice on One Call in SS7 Versus Two Calls in VoIP"
Go to Previous message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: Buyouts of AT&T, MCI Sign of Long Distance's Demise"
May be in reply to: Jack Decker: "Are ISPs Blocking VoIP Calls?"