TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: UN Panel Aims to End Internet Tug of War by July

Re: UN Panel Aims to End Internet Tug of War by July

LB@notmine.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:10:43 -0500

Lisa Minter wrote:

> GENEVA (Reuters) - A U.N.-sponsored panel aims to settle a
> long-running tug of war for control of the Internet by July and
> propose solutions to problems such as cyber crime and email
> spam, panel leaders announced.

> The panel, set up in December 2003, will lay groundwork for a final
> decision to be taken in Tunis in November at a U.N.-sponsored World
> Summit on the Information Society, where global control of the world
> wide web may be decided.

> Right now, the most recognizable Internet governance body is a
> California-based non-profit company, the International Corporation for
> Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

> But developing countries want an international body, such as the
> U.N.'s International Telecommunication Union (ITU), to have control
> over governance -- from distributing Web site domains to fighting
> spam.

> "There is an issue that is out there and that needs to be resolved,"
> said Nitin Desai, chairman of working group and special adviser to
> U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

> Incorporated in 1998, ICANN oversees management of the Internet's
> crucial addressing system which matches numerical addresses to
> familiar Web site addresses.

> While its oversight has been confined to technical matters, critics
> say that it is subject to U.S. political influence.

> The ITU, a 138-year-old trade body that among other things established
> country code rules for international telephone calls, is seen by
> developing countries as being better able to address their needs.

> All countries want to counter spam -- unsolicited commercial messages
> that can flood email accounts by the hundreds and burden the web with
> unwanted traffic.

> NOTE: For more telecom/internet/networking/computer news from the daily
> media, check out our feature 'Telecom Digest Extra' each day at
> http://telecom-digest.org/td-extra . New articles daily.

> *** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material the
> use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright
> owner. This Internet discussion group is making it available without
> profit to group members who have expressed a prior interest in
> receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the
> understanding of literary, educational, political, and economic
> issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes only. I
> believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material
> as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish
> to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go
> beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright
> owner, in this instance, Reuters Limited.

> For more information go to:
> http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Whatever. Does anyone think the UN will be effective at this?

LB

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Does anyone think ICANN will hand over
the reigns to ICU in any event? I don't think they will. PAT]

Go to Next message: Lisa Minter: "Britain Launches Internet Virus Alert Service"
Go to Previous message: Danny Burstein: "FCC: AT&T's LD Cards Quack Like Regular LD, Owe USF, etc."
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "UN Panel Aims to End Internet Tug of War by July"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page