TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: A New Radio Station For Our Town

A New Radio Station For Our Town

TELECOM Digest Editor (ptownson@telecom-digest.org)
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:13:06 EST

I am very pleased to report we have a new _all classical music_ radio
station here in southeast Kansas. Actually, KOSU is licensed out of
Ketchum, Oklahoma (more or less across the state line) from
Coffeyville, KS but it has a _very good_ signal here in Independence.

It is at 107.5 FM, came on the air about a month ago, and largely
plays classical music, 24/7, but also has some NPR programming. That
leaves us now with _three_ good classical music stations here. In
addition to the NPR stations in Tulsa (89.5 FM) and the station out
of Pittsburg, KS (KRPS, 89.9 FM) we now have this third choice. The
problem with 89.5 and 89.9 FM has been they are so far away from the
Independence/Coffeyville area the only way to get a *good* signal
listening to them is by attaching the cable line since they both get
a free ride on the CableOne local system. But the new one, 107.5 booms
in with no antenna at all, it seems.

And where Pittsburg plays classical all day, along with BBC World
Service overnight, and the Tulsa staton (89.5) tends to do mostly NPR
with a smattering of classical music, the new people at 107.5 do
classical all the time _day and night_ except for a few NPR things. I
do not know for sure if we are the only radio market in the USA which
now has _three_ stations doing classical music for many hours of the
day, but I suspect we are. That does not count the two classical
stations on cable only, which give us a rather good diet of
intelligent, interesting music. Do you know of any other areas with
three classical music stations all on the dial? New York, Chicago,
San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc?

PAT

Go to Next message: John Levine: "Re: Cell Phone Use Coming for Airbus Fliers"
Go to Previous message: chsvideo@hotmail.com: "Report DNC Violation?"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: A New Radio Station For Our Town"
May be reply: Henry: "Re: A New Radio Station For Our Town"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page