TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'

Re: Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'

Tim Keating (NotForJunkEmail@directinternet11.com1)
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:34:19 -0500

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:42:22 -0500, Jack Decker
<jack-yahoogroups@withheld> wrote:

> I hope the FCC will act swiftly to nip this in the bud -- ISP's have
> no more business blocking customers' access to certain VoIP providers
> than they do blocking access to competitors' web sites. I mean, just

I suggest checking out a recent slashdot discussion on the subject.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/14/2352254&tid=215

Vonage is a victim of their own default configuration.

Vonage by defaulting too using NO compression, has eliminated the
efficiencies one should have gained by using VoIP techniques. The
result is a " A Tragedy of the Commons" type scenario.

I.E. You've traded what could have been a locally switched call, for
3 or 4x more data traffic going over long distance IP backbones.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Tragedy%20of%20commons

"The key to the tragedy of the commons is when individuals use a
public good, they do not bear the entire cost of their several
actions."

Go to Next message: Marcus Didius Falco: "New-Look Passports: High-Tech Passports Not Working"
Go to Previous message: Joseph: "Re: Cell Phone Use Coming for Airbus Fliers"
May be in reply to: Jack Decker: "Vonage Complaining Of VoIP 'Blocking'"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page