TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Old vs. New Doctors -- Communication and Technology

Re: Old vs. New Doctors -- Communication and Technology

ranck@vt.edu
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:46:08 UTC

Lisa Hancock <hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote:

> hard to read -- could critical numbers by misinterpreted? (Why
> doesn't anyone bother with the 'fine' or 'high-res' settings when
> faxing?) Keying the information in and reading it from a computer
> screen makes me uneasy -- I think it'd be easier to make an error
> there than from pen and paper.

It is an old and widely accepted cliche' that doctors have terrible
handwriting. My daughter is in her 4th year as a medical student and
she tells me that pharmacists and nurses really like the hospitals
with a computer based system for the doctors to make notes and write
up prescriptions. There are fewer mistakes and no hard to read
instructions. While it may make you uneasy, real life experience says
using the computer is less prone to error.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And since we all know the computer does
not make mistakes and always is accurate, then whatever the prescription
calls for has to be the correct medicine. PAT]

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Any Recommendations re: Economy Internet Phone Service?"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Old Party-Line Arrangements"
May be in reply to: Lisa Minter: "Old vs. New Doctors -- Communication and Technology"