TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying

Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying

David Clayton (dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com)
Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:18:33 +1100

On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 17:23 +0000, Robert Bonomi wrote:

> It _can_ happen. It *does* happen. The voluntary-participation "Pay
> by Touch" system deprives the 'smart' crooked cashier -- as well as
> the 'dumb' one -- of the opportunity to 'steal' a card number.

> But, you're right, I can't imagine why anyone would *consider*
> participating in that program.

One thing that I haven't seen brought up here re the issue of having
your fingerprint "on file" is that I believe the Biometric systems
actually record (and store) a "hash" value of the particular ID, not
the ID itself (like an actual image of your fingerprint).

This is supposed to ensure that the stored ID cannot be used to
re-create the actual ID, but can only be used for comparison with new
hashed data.

This is from my Biometric system knowledge of a few years ago, someone
with more up to date information may be able to expand all of our
knowledge ...

Regards,

David Clayton, e-mail: dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
(Remove the "XYZ." to reply)

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you
down to their level then beat you with experience.

Go to Next message: Graeme Thomas: "Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying"