TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: One in 20 People May Have a Mobile Phone Illness

One in 20 People May Have a Mobile Phone Illness

Marcus Didius Falco (falco_marcus_didius@yahoo.co.uk)
Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:44:39 -0500

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1463100,00.html

The Sunday Times - Ireland

Richard Oakley

UP TO 5% of the population may be suffering ill health as a result of
radiation from mobile phones and masts, according to a group of Irish
doctors fighting for official acceptance of the problem.

The Irish Doctors Environmental Association (IDEA) is urging the
government to adopt a cautious approach to the technology, and to
ensure that people who claim to have related illnesses are
monitored. In a study to be released this week, the doctors will say
they have identified 16 people whom they believe have been adversely
affected by radiation. The medical report concludes that seemingly
sensitive individuals suffer devastating effects from exposure to
electromagnetic radiation. According to the IDEA s co-founders Philip
Michael and Elizabeth Cullen, more people are reporting severe health
effects linked to radiation.

The survey outlines symptoms that include fatigue, confusion,
tingling, temperature changes, dizziness and difficulty sleeping . It
estimates that between 1% and 5% of the population could be sensitive
to radiation and experience illness as a result. The IDEA says further
research is necessary. It wants special screens for the 16 people in
the study, to see if their conditions improve when radiation is
blocked.

The association's claims will be strongly refuted by the industry and
government. The Department of Communications said recently that there
was no valid scientific research to suggest that the use of mobile
phones could be bad for children. Their comments followed advice by a
leading British expert that their use by pre-teens should be
limited. The government has also said that tests on mobile-phone base
stations in the country found that none exceeded internationally
recognised guidelines on radiation levels. Mobile-phone operators also
dismiss claims that radiation from masts or phones could be harmful.

Vodafone said: There is no evidence of any impact on human health when
exposure levels are below internationally recognised guidelines .

Despite these reassurances there are growing numbers of people
reporting symptoms, like Dubliners Helen McCrory of Clontarf and Enda
Dalton of Raheny. McCrory blames nearby mobile phone masts for her
illness and said she can t leave her house because masts are
everywhere now . I can t sleep, my head pounds, my skin burns and I
get a painful pumping sensation from head to toe. It has got so bad
that I feel suicidal, she said.

Dalton claims he has suffered from radiation since 1985 and has
installed a screened room in his house to get relief. There are loads
of people like me who are sensitive to radiation and our symptoms are
real. We need the entire system shut down until a thorough
investigation is carried out. We know the radiation is below
recommended guidelines, but these guidelines are not correct because
we still suffer, he said.

John Ryan, a farmer in Tipperary, claims he has suffered illness since
allowing a Vodafone mast to be installed on his land. He has offered
to return the money he received to have the mast taken down but
Vodafone wants him to pay extra. The mast has been shown to adhere to
safe radiation levels but Ryan is adamant that it gives him headaches
and dizzy spells. Vodafone does not accept that the mast is
responsible for Ryan s symptoms.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,549,00.html Copyright 2005 Times
Newspapers Ltd.

*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material the use of
which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This
Internet discussion group is making it available without profit to group
members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
information in their efforts to advance the understanding of literary,
educational, political, and economic issues, for non-profit research and
educational purposes only. I believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of
the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S.
Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the
copyright owner, in this instance, Times Newspapers.

For more information go to:

Go to Next message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Drivers on Cell Phones Kill Thousands, Snarl Traffic"
Go to Previous message: CWB: "Re: Please Advise for VoIP Hardware"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: One in 20 People May Have a Mobile Phone Illness"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page