TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying

Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:06:20 -0500

bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, let's see ... maybe I was caught
> shoplifting at a grocery store in Iraq or Iran and the Taliban chopped
> off all my fingers as part of the punishment. And one of the terms
> for accepting MC/Visa cards required by many/most/all of the card
> issuers is that the store is *not* permitted to demand any other form
> of identification. The card is to stand on its own regards ID, *if the
> holder is using it for payment*. So your 'no touch, no sale' idea is
> not possible in many stores. I can see where fingerprints might be
> used in lieu of an actual plastic but I do not think it can be a
> requirement *in addition to* plastic. And when a clerk is caught
> making an unauthorized sale using someone else's card the answer is
> simple also. Fire and presecute them. PAT]

They're not demanding it in addition to the card, they're offering it as
an optional *alternative* to the card.

If your fingers have been chopped off, I suggest you don't choose this
option.

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Go to Next message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying"
Go to Previous message: George Mitchell: "Re: Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Supermarket: Let Your Fingers do the Paying"