TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Format For Image to be Faxed?

Re: Format For Image to be Faxed?

Brad Houser (bradDOThouser@intel.com)
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:51:05 -0800

AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote in message

> Pardon me if this is a bit off topic, but I suspect someone on one or
> the other of these groups may have the answer immediately at hand:

> If I want to fax a B&W or, more likely, a gray-scale image from within
> my computer (Apple iBook, using the internal modem), into what format
> (JPEG? GIF? ???) should I convert the image and at what resolution (72
> dpi?) before I fax it, to get the best balance of image sharpness and
> transmission time?

Faxes are essentially 1 bit black and white. Any grey scales need to
be done through dithering. If your fax software does it, then no
conversion is necessary. If not you will want to convert to 1 bit B/W
and use some decent software that actually dithers and not convert
everything that isn't white to black.

Brad Houser

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Invalid Number Tones"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Format For Image to be Faxed?"
May be in reply to: AES: "Format For Image to be Faxed?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page