TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Steal This Show

Re: Steal This Show

Neal McLain (nmclain@annsgarden.com)
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:57:43 -0600

From: Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> wrote:

> Subject: Steal This Show

> By LORNE MANLY and JOHN MARKOFF

> ISAAC RICHARDS didn't think of himself as a rebel, or a shock to the
> well-lubricated system of the television industry. He was merely
> unhappy with the cable box provided by his local operator....

[snip]

> Millions of viewers are now watching illegal copies of
> television programs -- even full seasons copied from popular DVD's --
> that are flitting about the Internet, thanks to other new programs
> that allow users to upload and download the large files quickly....

To which PAT added:

> *** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material the
> use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright
> owner. This Internet discussion group is making it available without
> profit to group members who have expressed a prior interest in
> receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the
> understanding of literary, educational, political, and economic
> issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes only. I
> believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material
> as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish
> to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go
> beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright
> owner.

Gee, you mean I can't steal a NYT article about stealing cable television
programming?

This reminds me of a panel discussion I watched on C-SPAN several
years ago. The subject was theft-of-service, and two of the panelists
were Tom Wheeler (then head of the NCTA) and Jack Valenti (then head
of the MPAA). Jack had recently published a book about
theft-of-service, apparently including accusations that the cable
industry was contributing to the motion-picture industry's
theft-of-service problem. When it came Tom's turn to speak, be began
by congratulating Jack on his new book. Grinning broadly, he pulled
out a sheaf of papers, and continued ... "In fact, I liked it so much
that I xeroxed it!"

Neal McLain

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Do you remember a famous book which
came out in the 1970's entitled oddly enough, 'Steal This Book' ?
That was the book's title. Many bookstores refused to stock it. PAT]

Go to Next message: rlstjohn@*gmail.dot.com.easynews.com: "Recently Switched to Vonage; Quality Question"
Go to Previous message: Dave Garland: "Re: Safeway Shopper Card Leads to Arson Arrest"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Steal This Show"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page