TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Do Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile

Re: Do Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile

Linc Madison (lincmad@suespammers.org)
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:29:40 -0800

In article <telecom24.41.13@telecom-digest.org>, PAT wrote:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But I don't think you can absolutely
> say radio frequency radiation is totally without harm to people.
> Consider for example the very cruel thing that some people (mostly
> children) do of putting small animals in microwave ovens and then
> turning on the unit. And why is it that microwave ovens have very
> well-shielded doors on them and the oven will not work if the door is
> open. I understand that radiation at microwave levels is different
> than radiation from a cell phone, but is there no comparison at all?
> PAT]

The microwave oven uses very similar radio frequencies to a cellphone.
However, the way that a microwave oven causes damage to animal flesh is
by heating it via excitation of the water molecules in it. The power
output of a cellphone is three orders of magnitude below a typical
microwave oven, in addition to which the microwave emitters are
designed to concentrate their power rather than radiating it uniformly.

A cellphone emits far too little power to cause any damage by heating,
and no other mechanism has been posited for it to harm people.

The bottom line: the science is in, and there is abundant reason to
believe that cellphones do not directly cause harm of any kind. If you
rear-end a cement truck on the freeway because you were yakking on your
cell, that's not the phone's fault.

Anything else is just crying wolf.

Linc Madison * San Francisco, California * lincmad@suespammers.org
<http://www.LincMad.com> * primary e-mail: Telecom at LincMad dot com
All U.S. and California anti-spam laws apply, incl. CA BPC 17538.45(c)
This text constitutes actual notice as required in BPC 17538.45(f)(3).
DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED E-MAIL TO THIS ADDRESS. You have been warned.

Go to Next message: Rich Greenberg: "Re: Do Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile"
Go to Previous message: Paul Coxwell: "British TV License (was America the Worst For Cell Rates and Plans)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page