TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: AOL Dropping Usenet Access

Re: AOL Dropping Usenet Access

David Clayton (dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com)
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:11:09 +1100

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 17:59 -0500, Danny Burstein wrote:

> AOL has apparently decided to stop supporting usenet for its customers.

> Typical story at:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/25/aol_cutsoff_newsgroups/

> (disclosure: I work at an ISP that considers usenet a fundamental
> internet service)

Quite a few smaller ISP's in Australia now don't offer Usenet, but I
have found that using one of the personal "free" Usenet services more
than adequate replacements (I use Individual.net in Germany).

Even my previous experience with a "major" ISP's Usenet service
(groups not updating, server downtime etc. etc.) seemed to indicate
that this is becoming a low priority these days in their business
models.

At least the alternative services take Usenet seriously, and that's
better than an ISP who no longer cares.

Regards,

David Clayton, e-mail: dcstar@XYZ.myrealbox.com
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
(Remove the "XYZ." to reply)

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag you
down to their level then beat you with experience.

Go to Next message: Brad Houser: "Re: Did it Snow Over the Weekend?"
Go to Previous message: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht: "Re: Net Telephone Fees Have Users Fuming"
May be in reply to: Danny Burstein: "AOL Dropping Usenet Access"