TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Fire Cripples 2 Subway Lines

Re: Fire Cripples 2 Subway Lines

Carl Navarro (cnavarro@wcnet.org)
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:36:12 GMT

On 25 Jan 2005 12:46:45 -0800, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response to Monty Solomon:

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: This could be retitled 'Our Crumbling
>> Infrastructure', and it is an excellent example of how things which
>> were built in our nation's past no longer can be maintained without a
>> lot of expense (which we do not have) and hassle.

> I don't agree with the above summary.

> I would call it "stupid homeless public policy".

> The subway system of any city is no place for homeless people to be
> in. Many people have been killed due to exposure to the elements, hit
> by train, contact with high power supplies, or other accidents.

And maybe some of those aren't "accidents"

Wow, where to begin.

In the "old days" you could be committed to the insane asylum for any
number of reasons, mostly heresay. For example, my grandfather
committed my grandmother to an asylum so he could get a divorce and
remarry. No, grandma was not insane and I never saw my grandfather
after the age of 5. One of or genealogist family members said this
was common practice in those days.

We're back to socialized health and welfare care. Some people don't
take meds because they can't afford them. Some people know how to
work the system and get a free ride. Act insane. Threaten to kill
yourself and you'll get a free ride to some half-way house with gratis
medical care and shelter. Just don't forget your character :-)

I'm not advocating tossing these people out on the street, but there
ought to be a way to get them to a work farm/rest home If you live to
be 90, you have a whole lot better chance of having a major medical
problem than at 60. Yet old hotels and buildings sit empty in cities
around the country.

Carl Navarro

Go to Next message: Joe Morris: "Re: Fire Cripples 2 Subway Lines"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "EFFector 18.2: Can the FBI Monitor Your Web Browsing"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Fire Cripples 2 Subway Lines"