TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Japanese Calling Home From UK - Questions

Japanese Calling Home From UK - Questions

tokyoeditor@gmail.com
27 Jan 2005 17:50:47 -0800

I genuinely want to find the best information for one of my wife's
cousins who is planning a homestay in the UK for about 6 months. I
will try and explain as clearly as possible in the hope that it will
help you answer.

While I am aware that obtaining a mobile phone is relatively
hassle-free for someone such as my Japanese cousin, spending 6 months
in the UK to study English and on a homestay, the problem is this:

* The cousin is 18 years old, with a relatively low level of English.
The parents want her to have a mobile phone during the stay in the UK
to remain easily contactable.

* However, taking a Japanese-contracted phone to the UK, even assuming
it can operate there, would be prohibitively expensive due to paying
for roaming (as far as I know). Due to the extra expense involved,
this is not the preferred option, unless there is an economical way of
using a Japan-purchased phone in the UK.

* The answer would be to take out a new contract on a phone when in
the UK. However, she would not be comfortable with a phone featuring
ENGLISH instructions and display.

The preferred option is as follows:

* A phone which can be arranged after arrival in the UK and which
includes a Japanese language function.

* A plan/tariff whereby the user (cousin) does not have to pay for
incoming calls made from Japan by family etc. Or where these are as
cheap as possible.

* The main purpose of the phone would be as a means of contact for her
family in Japan, since she does not know many people in the UK.

I am hoping to get an answer, in the shape of detailed advice and
recommendations for suitable models if possible, and I would really
appreciate anyone's help. Please post here or email me on
tokyoeditor@gmail.com

Go to Next message: acmarek@gmail.com: "Magazine Writer Looking For an Interview"
Go to Previous message: Neal McLain: "Cox CATV Outage (was Did it Snow Over the Weekend?)"
May be reply: Mark Crispin: "Re: Japanese Calling Home From UK - Questions"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Japanese Calling Home From UK - Questions"
May be reply: Rob: "Re: Japanese Calling Home From UK - Questions"
May be reply: Marcus Didius Falco: "Re: Japanese Calling Home From UK - Questions"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page