TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage at Bestbuy?

Re: Vonage at Bestbuy?

Michael D. Sullivan (userid@camsul.example.invalid)
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 06:14:24 GMT

In article <telecom24.33.2@telecom-digest.org>, timeOday-
UNSPAM@theknack.net says:

> I'm interested in trying out Vonage (or maybe some other VOIP service).

> I stopped by Best Buy to pick up a second phone so I could leave my
> land line connected to my old phone, while I hook up the new phone to
> Vonage to see if it's any good.

> I've also heard Vonage kits are available at BestBuy. This would
> avoid the $10 shipping fee, and avoid the wait. Plus I heard the kits
> were offered with a rebate on the hardware and the first month free.
> That would be great.

> But the sales clerk I asked at Best Buy had never heard of Vonage, or
> voice over IP for that matter. And I didn't notice Vonage in the
> Phone section.

> I searched bestbuy.com and found no mention of them selling the
> service. I searched vonage.com and found a lot of irrelevant hits.
> But the Vonage.com website says their service IS offered in my city.

> So what's the deal? Does Vonage through Best Buy still have the
> hardware rebate offer?

> I may have to resort to calling Best Buy on the phone, which is normally
> frustrating and a huge waste of time.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Another approach is to ask me for a
> Vonage e-coupon. I send you this in email, then you use the link shown
> there to set the entire thing up over the computer. By clicking on
> the link in the email coupon, it walks you though the ordering and set
> up procedure, assigns your Vonage number *AND* arranges to get the
> Vonage TA box sent out to you. They give those rather high priority,
> so you should recieve the TA in three or four days by Fed Express or
> UPS. You use your credit card to pay for the TA box and the first
> month of service then my coupon kicks in and whatever kind of service
> plan you choose (and pay for) you get the *second month* for free. I
> have been a Vonage customer now for almost two years; I think from
> start to finish in the ordering/installing process took me a week in
> total, from getting the e-coupon, clicking on the link, getting the
> service set up and starting to use it. If you want an e-coupon, rather
> than dealing with the stores (and often-times know-nothing clerks,
> etc) write to me: ptownson@massis.csail.mit.edu and request it. PAT]

Go to the computer networking section of Best Buy, where they sell
routers and wireless cards, and you will find it.

Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD, USA
Replace "example.invalid" with ".com".

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But counselor, TimeODay did ask a *clerk
in the store* about it, and he did check the *web site of Best Buy*;
the clerk got ignorant with him; the web site was obscure about it at
best; now he should make another trip back to the store and hope to
God to find someone who will point him in the right direction and have
idea of what the product is about and what it does? ... with the
'magic' of email, had I sent him an e-coupon and had he redeemed it,
Vonage would already be processing his order. Assuming he first made
his ill-fated trip to Best Buy a few days ago, chances are likely by
now with an e-coupon redemption he would be setting up his TA and
making a test call on it. PAT]

Go to Next message: dbhack: "Phone Directory Telephone Lookup"
Go to Previous message: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Vonage at Bestbuy?"
May be in reply to: timeOday: "Vonage at Bestbuy?"