TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Wal-Mart Stung in $1.5 Million Bar-Code Scam

Re: Wal-Mart Stung in $1.5 Million Bar-Code Scam

T. Sean Weintz (strap@hanh-ct.org)
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:35:55 -0500

TELECOM Digest Editor noted in response:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And I am told that very good color
> copiers can trick change-making machines into accepting bogus money
> and giving out real change. I don't know how true it is; someone who
> works at our local post office said they found some 'funny money' in
> the machine which dispenses postage stamps and returns change for up
> to a few dollars. PAT]

It's not really good color copiers (from what I heard) but rather good
high resolution laser printers with magnetic toner - the kind used for
printing checks. I think most bill readers rely on the magnetic ink on
the front side of the bill to read the bill. From what I hear, you
only need to print the black part of the front of the bill.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Wal-Mart Stung in $1.5 Million Bar-Code Scam"
Go to Previous message: Justin Time: "Re: Don't Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Wal-Mart Stung in $1.5 Million Bar-Code Scam"