TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time

Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time

Isaiah Beard (sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com)
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:47:41 -0500

Tony P. wrote:

> In the case of the U.S. the cellular carriers went to the FCC and
> congress and cried that caller pays on cellular would kill the
> service.

If any such lobbying actually did occur, then those lobbyists were
right. Calling Party Pays actually was tried in the US a few years
back, and it was a huge flop. The US public is just used to not
paying for local calls (just as cell users are no longer accustomed to
paying for LD charges anymore). So when CPP was test-marketed for
pagers and cell phones, no one called these numbers, and I even
remember hearing of businesses programming their PBXes to deny
outgoing calls to exchanges that were known to have CPP numbers.

CPP was never outlawed, so I doubt such lobbying actually took place.
But the concept was tried and it died a fitting, fast death.

E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Go to Next message: Koos van den Hout: "Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"
Go to Previous message: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"