TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Palm Treo 650

Re: Palm Treo 650

John Levine (
15 Jan 2005 01:25:33 -0000

> I am baffled about the Palm Treo 650. Is this strictly a Sprint phone
> or can it be purchased without a service plan so I can take it back to
> Europe and use it with my service there?

According to the Palm One web site at it
comes in two models, CDMA and GSM/GPRS. Sprint is a CDMA carrier, so
that's the model they'd sell you. European carriers don't do CDMA, so
a Sprint phone wouldn't work outside North America.

It says there's also a quad-band GSM model which should work on GSM
carriers in the North America (Cingular, T-Mobile, Fido, Rogers) and
Europe (all of them.) To get all the whizzo features, the carrier has
to support them. It looks to me like you need MMS to mail pictures
around and EDGE or GPRS for email and web browsing.

The 600 is available in Europe, but the 650 isn't yet. Maybe you
should wait.

John Levine,, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY

Go to Next message: "Re: Business Monitoring of Phone Calls"
Go to Previous message: "Re: Using Cell Phone as Pager"
May be in reply to: "Palm Treo 650"