TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Gov't Mandated Advertising, was: Another VoIP Company Adds Bogus

Gov't Mandated Advertising, was: Another VoIP Company Adds Bogus

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:53:15 UTC

In <telecom24.18.14@telecom-digest.org>
lederman@star.enet.dec.DISABLE-JUNK-EMAIL.com (Bart Z. Lederman)
writes:

> Farmers and producers of certain agricultural products are REQUIRED by
> the government to contribute to a checkoff fund, which produces
> advertising campaigns, over which the contributor generally has no
> control. Any farmer that wants out of the program because they don't
> think they benefit, or because they disagree with the messages from
> the campaign, have to fight a long up-hill battle with the government,
> and risk serious retaliation.

While that used to be the case (and no doubt the people who
collect/pocket that money do their best to unpublicize the news ...)
there have been a slew of recent court decisions that ruled mandatory
checkoffs of this sort are unconstitutional. (Still waiting for a
definitive and final ruling from the Supreme Court).

The following url leads to a good writeup. The group is clearly biased,
but the facts are true ...

http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=16501

(plenty of other info available by doing the usual Googlin')

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: Marcus Didius Falco: "SecurityFocus HOME News: Hacker Penetrates T-Mobile Systems"
Go to Previous message: Angus TeleManagement: "Telecom Update (Canada) #464, January 14, 2005"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page