TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time

Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time

Tony P. (kd1s@nospamplease.cox.reallynospam.net)
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:38:11 -0500

sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com says:

> Tony P. wrote:

>> Interesting that they actually charge for SMS now. Back about ten
>> years ago when OmniPoint first came on the scene SMS was free.

> They charge for SMS now because now, you can actually SMS with other
> US carriers, and unfortunately for everyone, that interoperabiltiy
> doesn't come free. Verisign is the company that handles intercarrier
> SMS in the United States for most of these cell companies through
> their Metcalf solution, and they charge a fee per message to the
> carriers for this favor, the cost of which is then passed on to the
> end user.

> For more info:

> http://tinyurl.com/43c3j

> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

I should have known Verisign had a part in it. I cannot stomach the
practices employed by Verisign.

It was entirely possible to enable SMS between carriers without having
to have a third party involved. But they insinuated themselves into
the equation and now we all pay.

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Download Site SuprNova Closes Amid Hollywood Crackdown"
Go to Previous message: Rob: "Re: Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Young Cell Users Rack Up Debt, One Dime Message at a Time"