TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Gore Tax Increase

Re: Gore Tax Increase

Mark Crispin (MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU)
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:55:28 -0800

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, HorneTD wrote:

> There are four components to the Federal Universal Service Fund. They are:
> * Low-Income.
> * High-Cost.
> * Schools and Libraries.
> * Rural Health Care.

Golly gee. How ever did these people get telephone service before Al Gore
came along and gave us the Algore tax (a.k.a. the Federal Universal
Service Fund)?

If the Algore tax is all so wonderful, why is it that in 1977, I had
basic telephone service for under $10, and now I pay at least $25?

Quite frankly, given the way that I have seen schools and libraries
waste this money, I think that they need it the way a fish needs a
bicycle. This goes alone with inane ideas (such as being promulgated
in my town) of giving every public high school student a laptop
computer.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: See my editor's note elsewhere in this
issue. Our local telco (Prairie Stream) does what is required under
the law of course, but they also offer a voluntary 'check off' box
which allows *voluntary* financial assistance to be added on the phone
to pay other bills and such through our community FAST program. PAT]

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: The Day the Bell System Died"
Go to Previous message: John McHarry: "Re: Gore Tax Increase"
May be in reply to: Clark W. Griswold, Jr.: "Gore Tax Increase"