TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Kansas City Metro and Local Inter LATA Calling

Kansas City Metro and Local Inter LATA Calling

Anthony Bellanga (anthonybellanga@withheld)
Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:12:24 -0700

Pat, please do not display my email address in my post, neither in
the "from" line, nor in the "reply-to" line. I don't need to be
spammed from outside anymore so than I presently am. Thanks.

In "Re: Long Distance From Next Door", Wes Leatherock wrote:

> There are many cases where local calling areas cross LATA boundaries,
> so this is generally, in itself, irrelevant. One of the noted
> interstate metropolitan exchanges is Kansas City, Mo.-Kan., which is
> in two LATAs but one local calling area.

While the MO and KS sides of the Kansas City Metro area are obviously
in different states, and also in separate NPAs (816 Kansas City MO and
913 Kansas City KS), and there has been mandatory ten-digit local
dialing between the two state and NPA sides for several years now,
i.e., no "protected" c.o.codes in each NPA for at least the metro
area, both the KS (913) and MO (816) sides of the Kansas City Metro
area are in the same LATA, #524, an SBC LATA. LATAs can and do cover
parts of multiple states.

But there are other instances of local calling areas which do cross
LATA boundaries, some happen to also be interstate and postdivestiture
EAS calling. In all such inter LATA local calling cases that didn't
already exist prior to divestiture, in addition to the state or
several state regulatory bodies having to approve the new EAS (local)
calling, the FCC must also give its nod to such inter LATA local
calling, even if it is inter LATA but intra state.

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Linksys Wireless-G Media Link"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Go Ahead, Just Try to Disappear"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page