TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The End of TV as We Know It

Re: The End of TV as We Know It

torotoro@digitalputty.com
25 Dec 2004 16:08:20 -0800

Very poignant posture, Monty. We at Backspace.TV have been on just
that since 1999 when we founded our ISP Digitalputty.com and married
it with our TV Station KCCE 50.

Moreover, as an enterprise level corporation with SBC we were heavy
into negotiations for distribution to their 4M Yahoo DSL Subs when
they suddenly went silent last June ( about the same time they inked
Microsoft IPTV ).

We're broadcasting to consumers and partnering with RBOC's for their
subs as well. Welcome to the future of broadcast.

http://www.backspace.tv

Monty Solomon wrote:

> Sit back on the sofa and get ready for packetized, on-demand, digital
> broadcasts.

> By Frank Rose
> Wired Magazine
> Issue 12.12
> December 2004

> We live in the age of the digital packet. Documents, images, music,
> phone calls -- all get chopped up, propelled through networks, and
> reassembled at the other end according to Internet protocol. So why
> not TV?

> That's the question cable giants like Comcast and Time Warner and Baby
> Bells like SBC and Verizon have been asking. The concept has profound
> implications for television and the Internet. TV over Internet
> protocol -- IPTV -- will transform couch-cruising into an on-demand
> experience. For the Internet, it will mean broadband at speeds 10,
> 100, or even 1,000 times faster than today's DSL or cable. Online
> games would be startlingly realistic; the idea of channels would seem
> hopelessly archaic. Why not indeed?

> So far, the answer has been inertia. But competition is a powerful
> stimulus. For years, DirecTV and EchoStar have been adding subscribers
> far faster than cable, so cable companies want something satellite
> can't match. At the same time, voice over IP is enabling cable
> operators to poach phone customers from telcos. Combine VoIP, truly
> high-speed broadband, and totally on-demand TV - and you've got such a
> compelling proposition that the Bell companies figure the only way to
> survive is to do likewise.

> IPTV is not to be confused with television over the Internet. On the
> public Net, packets get delayed or lost entirely -- that's why Web
> video is so jerky and lo-res. But private networks like Comcast's are
> engineered, obviously, for reliable video delivery -- which means IPTV
> will look at least as good as TV coming from digital cable or
> satellite.

> It will be accompanied by another, equally critical change. Instead
> of broadcasting every channel continuously, service providers plan to
> transmit them only to subscribers who request them. In effect, every
> channel will be streamed on demand. This will free up huge amounts of
> bandwidth for hi-def TV and high-speed broadband. Add IP and you get
> interactive services like caller ID on your TV. And the system will
> be able to track viewing habits as effectively as Amazon tracks its
> customers, so ads will be targeted with scary precision. Put it all
> together and you've got television that's as intensely personalized
> as 20th-century broadcasting was generic.

> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.12/start.html?pg=7

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: Beware Sprint Phone Rebates"
Go to Previous message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Re: USTA Sends Strange Letter to Wal-Mart"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "The End of TV as We Know It"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page