TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?

Re: Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?

DevilsPGD (devilspgd@crazyhat.net)
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:32:24 -0700

In message <telecom23.606.12@telecom-digest.org> John Levine
<johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

>> A number of people 'think' they have a problem with their VoIP
>> provider, BUT the problems only occur when talking to someone on a
>> CELL phone.

> In my case, I have observed lousy voice quality when picking up my
> Vonage voice mail on the voice prompts which are, I presume, coming
> directly from Vonage's servers. I haven't noticed cell phone voice
> quality being much worse than it is elsewhere.

> I do have one more clue: people tell me that even when I can barely
> understand them, they can understand me fine, so the problem is on the
> inbound side. I don't understand that at all, since my net connection
> is equally fast in both directions (it's a T1) and I usually have more
> outbound traffic from web servers than inbound.

It could be that Vonage is having issues on their side, or that some
router/link on the path Vonage's traffic takes to get to you is having
problems but the reverse is stable.

Go to Next message: DevilsPGD: "Re: AFA (Flight Attendants) Opposes In-Flight Cell Phone Use"
Go to Previous message: Tony P.: "Re: Is 'Transitional Fair Use' The Wave Of The Future?"
May be in reply to: John R Levine: "Vonage Voice Quality Getting Worse?"